Can I get child support?

There are two main ways to get child support:

  1. You can enter into a binding child support agreement with your former partner; or
  2. You can get a child support assessment from the Department of Human Services.

Binding Child Support Agreements

Much like Binding Financial Agreements, Binding Child Support Agreements (BCSA) are private agreements between you and your former partner.

While the payment can be any amount, a written agreement needs to be drawn up. Both parties need to get independent legal advice about the proposed agreement. The BCSA must also be registered with the Department of Human Services. In order to be legally binding, it must also be filed at the Family Court.

Child Support Assessments

You can apply for a child support assessment online. The Department of Human Services will decide how much child support you should receive. Their assessment depends on a number of factors, including your combined income and the extent to which you have care of your child.

If you would like more information about your options, please contact Kavanagh Lawyers on 6557 5888 or email to arrange an initial appointment.