The Australian Social Trends (AST) report released by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) in July has looked at many of the characteristics of same-sex couples living in Australia.
Information from the latest Census shows 33,700 couples reported living together in a same-sex relationship, with 17,600 male couples and 16,100 female couples.
It was also noted that there were also almost twice as many children living in same-sex couple families as there were in 2001 – and most of these children were living in female same-sex couple families.
Other aspects of the report show:
- Housework is more evenly shared in same-sex couples, unlike opposite-sex couples where women tend to do more than men.
- People in same-sex couples tend to be younger than people in opposite sex couples, but they also tend to have a greater age gap between partners. It was found that with around a quarter of male same-sex couples there was an age difference of 10 or more years between the partners, compared with only 8 per cent for opposite-sex couples and for women in same-sex couples, 15 per cent had a similar age difference.
- People in same-sex couples tend to be more highly educated, with a Bachelor degree or higher qualification being almost double those in opposite-sex couples.
- They tend to have higher labour force participation, and higher incomes.
- Same Sex couples also move more often than other couples.
- Around two in five said they were Christian but most people in same-sex couples were also more likely to report having no religion.
You can read more about the AST article here
Kavanagh Family Lawyers consider it very fortunate to have many gay and lesbian clients and are proud to be part of the gay and lesbian community.
Kavanagh Lawyers are sensitive to the particular challenges that same sex couples face with regard to the legal aspects of their relationships. The emotional aspects of a separation are difficult enough without the possibility of having to endure insensitivity or lack of understanding about you and your relationship. Read more about what Kavanagh Family Lawyers can offer Same Sex Couples.